Have you entered the Mallorca 312 and unsure where to start with training for the Mallorca 312? Having completed this amazing event twice now, I will be riding again in 2022. I wanted to share my secret training tips to make sure you make the cut off!
Here are my top 5 tips to complete the event in your fastest time!
- Consistency – As with any training plan this is also the most important. No matter how much you train consistency is key so you should not delay in getting started. The best training plan is only effective if it is executed! The earlier you can start the better so don’t delay and start your training today! You need to find what works for you, whether it is hiring a coach, buying a training plan can all give you accountability.
Long-term consistency trumps short-term intensity
- Plan, Plan and then Plan – To gain consistency you need to plan. Don’t get obsessed with the exact details of your individual training session but look to build week on week and progress intensity. Make sure you get them in the diary so you don’t miss any. Having a birds-eye view of your training really helps to keep focused and stay on track. As you get closer to the event start to plan your nutrition and practice this in your long training sessions.
- Train Hard, Race Smart – The event is tough and training wants to be tougher! If you are planning on making the cut off times then you need to be prepared to push yourself on the day. Training for the Mallorca 312 should be tough. Far too many people shy away from the tough training and hard sessions.
It never gets easier, you just go faster
- Muscular endurance – This is one of the training abilities and is crucial in completing this event. It is basically the ability to apply a constant force to the pedals. This event is tough and long so you will need plenty of this type of training in your plan. Long Tempo and Sweet Spot efforts will help build this.
- Specificity – As you get closer to the event the sessions want to simulate the physiological demands that will be needed on the day. Don’t worry if you don’t have any iconic climbs where you live as this can be replicated. Introduce some sessions where you reduce the cadence to around 70rpm in a reasonably hard gear to mimic climbing.
I hope this has helped you with your Mallorca 312 training and would love to hear how you are getting on so comment below and tell me what you are doing. 👇🏻
If you are struggling with your nutrition and not sure what to eat or how much then check out my guide here
If you are interested in a training plan for the event then check them out here
In the meantime check out here how I got on last year and went 45 minutes faster. If you want further support and tips/advice then why not register for the Mallorca 312 Academy where you will get fit in 16 weeks to complete the challenge. This is a great place to meet other riders tackling the event in 2022!